View Footprint In:
The USGS-NPS Vegetation Mapping Program (VMP) is a cooperative effort by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the National Park Service (NPS) to classify, describe, and map existing vegetation of national park units for the Natural Resource Inventory and Monitoring Program. The goals of the WGIPP vegetation mapping project were to (1) adequately describe and map plant communities of WGIPP and (2) provide the NPS Inventory and Monitoring Program, resource managers, and biological researchers with useful baseline vegetation information. This web service represents the spatial data set of vegetation for Glacier National Park (GNP) was created by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)-National Park Service (NPS) Vegetation Mapping Program (VMP) for the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park (WGIPP). The WGIPP covers an area of approximately 458,556 ha (1,133,116 acres), and includes approximately 30.5 km (19 miles) of the Canada-United States International Boundary. The United States portion of this park (GNP) is located in northwestern Montana, in the Rocky Mountains. The map classification scheme used to create the vegetation data set is designed to represent local plant communities at the finest level possible using the National Vegetation Classification Scheme. Physiognomic information was also recorded, including tree height, canopy density, and coverage patterns. The vegetation data set was developed by interpreting aerial photographs collected in 1999, supplemented with aerial photography collected in 1997-98 and extensive field surveys. Individuals who cooperated in this project include; USGS Core Science Analytics and Synthesis, USGS Upper Midwest Environmental Sciences Center, NPS Glacier National Park, Parks Canada Waterton Lakes National Park, NatureServe, and the Montana Natural Heritage Program. Please visit http://www.usgs.gov/core_science_systems/csas/vip/products.html
to download the data and obtain the complete FGDC metadata record.
Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks
All Layers and Tables
Single Fused Map Cache:
Spatial Reference: 3857
Spatial Reference: 3857
Supported Image Format Types:
- Title: Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks
- Author: U.S. Geological Survey, Core Science Systems, Core Science Analytics & Synthesis.
- Comments: The USGS Vegetation Characterization Program is a cooperative effort by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the National Park Service Inventory & Monitoring - Vegetation Mapping Program to classify, describe, and map vegetation communities in more than 280 national park units across the United States
- Subject: Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks - Spatial vegetation data and park boundary.
- Keywords: Vegetation, Land Cover and Land Use, NVCS Plant Associations, NVCS Plant Alliances, USGS-NPS National Vegetation Mapping Program
- Credits: U.S. Geological Survey, Upper Midwest Environmental Sciences Center
- AntialiasingMode: None
- TextAntialiasingMode: Force