View Footprint In:
This web service depicts the polygon feature class that represents the vegetation and land-use geo-spatial data for Cedar Breaks National Monument (CEBR) and surrounding areas. The polygons were generated using guidelines set by the Standardized National Vegetation Classification System (October 1995). Original lines were provided by the USGS created by using a segmentation routine with eCognition software. The segmented lines were edited and re-drawn using photo interpretation (PI) techniques on 2002 aerial photography. Additional data layers were used in aiding the interpretation, such as slope, hydrology, soils, geography, and ground-collected vegetation information. The minimum mapping unit was 1/2 hectare. The attributed vegetation classes were subjected to an accuracy assessment, following which final adjustments were made to the vegetation classes. As with any digital layer, this layer is a representation of what is actually occurring on the ground; errors are inherent in any interpretation of ground qualities. Due to the "snapshot" nature of the DOQs, this vegetation layer reflects conditions that existed when the imagery was collected. The NPS Vegetation Inventory Program goals are, among others, to consistently classify, map and document the vegetation of all National Park Service units with a resource component, thereby creating a baseline vegetation inventory. The purposes of this specific mapping effort are varied and include the following: 1) provide support for NPS Resource Management, 2) promote vegetation-related research, 3) provide support for NPS Planning and Compliance, 4) add to the information base for NPS Interpretation, 5) provide a vegetation baseline inventory for the Park, and 6) assist in overall NPS Operations. Please visit http://www.usgs.gov/core_science_systems/csas/vip/products.html
to download the data and obtain the complete FGDC metadata record.
Cedar Breaks National Monument (CEBR), UT
All Layers and Tables
Cedar Breaks National Monument Vegetation Mapping Project - Park Boundary and Spatial Vegetation Data
U.S. Geological Survey, Core Science Systems, Core Science Analytics & Synthesis.
Single Fused Map Cache:
Spatial Reference: 102113
Spatial Reference: 102113
Supported Image Format Types:
- Title: Cedar Breaks National Monument
- Author: U.S. Geological Survey, Core Science Systems, Core Science Analytics & Synthesis.
- Comments: The USGS Vegetation Characterization Program is a cooperative effort by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the National Park Service to classify, describe, and map vegetation communities in more than 280 national park units across the United States
- Subject: Cedar Breaks National Monument Vegetation Mapping Project - Spatial Vegetation Data and Park Boundary
- Keywords: Vegetation, Land Cover and Land Use, NVCS Plant Associations, NVCS Plant Alliances, USGS-NPS National Vegetation Mapping Program, Cedar Breaks
- Credits: Northern Colorado Plateau Network, Inventory and Monitoring Program and the National Park Services
- AntialiasingMode: None
- TextAntialiasingMode: Force